Heterosexism can be found in almost every social institution within society, especially amongst early childhood education. For our writing assignment this week, I want you to pick your favorite childhood storybook, and apply a heterosexist analysis to it. In a 1-2 page, please answer the following questions:
1. Provide a short summary of your children’s book.
2. Does this story uphold heterosexist ideas? (i.e. are there any signs that heterosexuality is assumed/normal?)
3. Does this story uphold traditional gender roles/expectations? Why or why not? How can you tell?
4. Reflection: How do you think a child with non-heterosexual or non-gender conforming parents would feel while reading this book?
5. How can early childhood education be more encompassing/inclusive/supportive of diverse sexual/gender identities?