The retail store has experienced significant growth in the recent months. The customers have expressed an interest in being able to purchase the retail store’s products electronically. Currently, the retail store has a simple Web site, but it is not clear that the system can support dynamic interaction on the Web site or online purchases. The main database system that is used in the physical store has not been working correctly, however, and this is an issue. The retail store wants to be able to eventually integrate an online database system with the current order entry system that is used to support sales made in the local store. The retail store also needs the database system to enforce the rules that have been established for their business practices. What can be done to support the goals and objectives for meeting the needs of their customers?
Examples are provided here to help with this assignment.
It is assumed that Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition (with management tools) was chosen as the database platform. It can be downloaded for free at this Web site.You have been asked to develop a solution in the form of a Database System Development Plan for your retail store using the following format:
- Database System Development and Implementation Plan
- Use Microsoft Word
- Title page
- Course number and name
- Project name
- Your name
- Table of contents (TOC)
- Use auto-generated TOC
- Maximum of 3 levels deep
- Be sure to update the fields of the TOC so it is up-to-date before submitting your project.
- Section headings (create each heading on a new page with TBD as content except for sections listed under new content below)
Each week, you will add a section to this Database System Development and Implementation Plan and submit it for grading. As a preview, each section will contain the following:
- Database System Overview (Week 1 IP)
- Entity Relationship Model (Week 2 IP)
- Structured Query Language (SQL) Scripts (Week 3 IP)
- Database Administration Plan (Week 4 IP)
- Future Database System Implementation Plan (Week 5 IP)
Database System Overview (4–5 pages)
The project deliverables are as follows:
- Describe the general business environment for the case study organization.
- Include a database system goals and objectives statement.
- Include a narrative that discusses how the proposed database system addresses the presenting business problem(s).
- Include a narrative that demonstrates how the proposed system aligns to the mission statement and strategic goals of the organization.
- Identify the mission and goals of the case study retail store, and provide your analysis as to how this part of the project fulfills the mission and/or goals of the case study organization.
- All sources should be cited both in-text and in References using APA format.
- Name the document “P1.doc.”
- Submit the document for grading.