Create a 5-minute presentation for a committee kickoff meeting in which you describe your leadership role, team composition, and how to foster collaboration.
Leading teams is not an academic exercise. At some point in your career, it is likely that you will lead a team. You may even be fortunate enough to be able to choose one. In any case, being able to share your vision or plans through a presentation is highly likely, and is a skill worth developing.
In this assessment, you will create a 5-minute presentation for a committee kickoff meeting in which you describe your leadership role, team composition, and how to foster collaboration.
For this assessment:
- Use the PowerPoint Template [PPTX] to complete this assessment..
- Kaltura (optional): (Note: While you have the option to use the tools most familiar to you to create your narrated PowerPoint presentation, Capella also offers learners access to Kaltura, a tool that can be used to record presentations using a web cam and microphone. Learn more about Kaltura at the Using Kaltura Campus page. Regardless of how you choose to submit your narrated presentation, you will need to make sure it is submitted in a file format your faculty is able to access.
Imagine that Lynette follows up with you in an e-mail shortly after reading your views on leadership and collaboration.
E-mail From Lynette
Thanks for sending me your thoughts on the diversity issue at the Lakeland Clinic. The next step is for you to select a team of professionals who can help you in this project and prepare an introduction of the project for a first meeting with them.
I want you to prepare a presentation to serve as a brief, but substantive introduction for the first meeting with a group of four members who will participate on the committee tasked with addressing the diversity issue.
The presentation should be approximately 5 minutes (use as many slides as required with detailed speaker’s notes) so I can understand your approach. Not a lot of time or space, so keep things pretty high level. Do the following:
Briefly outline the project goals and highlight 2–3 of the initial priorities to be addressed by the group.
Explain the composition of your ideal team and why you chose them. (Note that you will not know the exact personnel yet, but assume we will recruit the people with the desired qualities and characteristics that you outline in the presentation.) Provide brief description of the type of professionals you believe can help define the problem and ultimately make recommendations on how to address it. You will want the group to be diverse and with each member being able to provide a unique perspective.
Explain your role and describe how the committee will work together and achieve effective interprofessional collaboration. Describe how the group will communicate. Include how and when they will meet.
Describe how ideas will be shared and decisions made.
Describe roles, group function, and structure.Thanks,
Use the PowerPoint Template [PPTX] (and Kaltura or similar software) to create an approximately 5-minute narrated presentation with visuals in response to the above scenario.
Be sure your presentation meets the following requirements:
- Length: Approximately 5 minutes (use as many slides as required).
- Visuals: Create visuals that are easily read and interpreted. Use colors, fonts, formatting, and other design principles that make the information clear and generally add to the aesthetic of the presentation.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Analyze leadership traits and styles.
- Justify one’s own criteria and choice for committee members.
- Competency 2: Apply accepted leadership practices and behaviors.
- State goals and initial priorities that reasonably reflect a project.
- Describe a plan to facilitate effective interprofessional collaboration among a committee.
- Competency 3: Communicate professionally and effectively.
- Create an organized presentation that clearly communicates specified content.
- Organize content so ideas flow logically with smooth transitions.
Portfolio Prompt: You should consider adding this assessment to your personal ePortfolio. For more information on ePortfolio, visit the Campus ePortfolio page.